DELL pre-built mobo options

Post subject: DELL pre-built mobo options
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:36 pm 
Phantom Officer

A friend needs to replace a Dell pre-built mobo and they want $189! Can it be replaced with a NON-OEM brand?

Dell Studio XPS 7100

Post subject: Re: DELL pre-built mobo options
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:14 am 
Phantom Officer

You might have him look at the mobo and see if he can find a model or mfg number on the board. If it is bad it shouldn't hurt the warranty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm 
Phantom Officer

Dino, googling the machine I came up with this image of the board.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewima ... inside.jpg

It looks like a typical microATX style motherboard, so he may be able to find a board that will work for around $50. One thing to keep in mind though is that a lot of times manufacturers may make a proprietary or special front panel setup to connect to their motherboards. Or it could just be that all the wires are in 1 plastic block that the pinout is different than what the pinout for the front panel is on the motherboard. If that's the case, the wires will have to be removed from that plastic block and switched around or plugged straight into the motherboard individually. If the block can be saved I would recommend that route. To pull the wires out of that block, there's a tiny black plastic tab that has to be moved to release the wire. I found the best way to do it is with a small blade such as a hobby knife.

As far as the other hardware in the case is concerned everything else should match up just fine as long as the new board has all the same main connectors. Some towers also have built in wifi, I didn't see the antenna wires in the pic, but may want to doublecheck with your buddy if his pc has it built in. I would also recommend he wipe and reinstall windows to get the best performance out of his new board.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:33 pm 
Phantom Officer

Cool. Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:47 pm 
Phantom Officer

Yeah I'd be careful. Years ago Dell used to do all kinds of proprietary stuff to their parts so you couldn't easily replace components. I had a power supply die so I went to Best Buy and bought a new one. But Dell had used a non-standard connector for the power supply to the motherboard. Luckily a bunch of enterprising people on the Internet made adapters. But that was easily 10+ years ago and I don't know if they do that any more.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "Fuck it, cut em up!" -- Mitch Hedburg