My computer died too

Post subject: My computer died too
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:00 am 
Phantom Officer

I dunno what is going around but apparently my computer suffered a massive failure tonight also. I think it might be the video card but I'm not sure. When you apply power everything spins up but it does not POST. After 10 seconds or so it automatically reboots itself and repeats this. I started unplugging hard drives and DVD-RW and no change. When I unplug the video card the MB finally POSTs although it is angry it cant find a video card and beeps for a long time.

We'll I've been kind of thinking about building a new system, mine is a little over 4 years old now.

Ugh!!!

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "Fuck it, cut em up!" -- Mitch Hedburg

Post subject: Re: My computer died too
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 pm 
Phantom Officer

That's what mine stared to do. Once power was applied it would start spinning things up for about 2.5 seconds then shut down. It would then reboot with no POST and run like it's operating correctly but nothing was actually happening. Weird fo'sho!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:39 am 
Phantom Officer

I did some massive parts studying last night and tonight. Ordered a bunch of stuff just now.

Hopefully will be back in business again by the weekend.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "Fuck it, cut em up!" -- Mitch Hedburg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:55 pm 
Phantom Officer

New parts came today at my house! Unfortunately I'm in my apartment and don't get back until Friday night. Will have to see how motivated I am to start the build Friday night or Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 am 
Phantom Officer

New computer is up and running finally. Stupid $#@(# windows.

So my copy of windows 7 is an upgrade. I forgot about this. I remember having trouble the last time this happened. Anyway, Windows 7 Upgrade will not activate on a clean hard drive. I installed windows 7, then entered by CD key and it said it was invalid. Suddenly bad memories flood back to me. Oh yeah I need to have XP installed first. So I try to install XP but this hardware is too new for XP and it blue screens complaining by bios isn't compliant. I dick around with this for a while to no avail. Finally I find some stupid forum post. You have to install windows 7, skip the part where it asks you for your CD key and let it get all the way to the desktop. Then you have to install windows 7 again. The second time it buys by CD key and once I install the LAN drivers it validates my copy of windows online.

Lame. I was worried I was going to have to buy windows 8.1 full for a few minutes.

Hopefully I won't have any trouble installing the rest of the drivers and junk.

I have like 1.3 Gigs of Windows updates to install now, ugh....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:24 am 
Phantom Officer

Dino, I'll pack up my old mobo and send it off to you soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:00 pm 
Phantom Officer

Thanks Gremmie. I'll let you know when I receive it.