Win 7 OS question

Post subject: Win 7 OS question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 am 
Phantom Officer

Will this work with a normal non dell build?

http://www.bmem.net/Microsoft-Windows-7 ... _p_13.html

Post subject: Re: Win 7 OS question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 am 
Phantom Officer

Yes, I think so. I used to buy OEM versions of Windows on NewEgg whenever I would buy some hardware. However you aren't supposed to be able to get support for them from Microsoft, so lately I just suck it up and buy a retail version.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "Fuck it, cut em up!" -- Mitch Hedburg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 am 
Phantom Officer

I'm not sure about Win7, but I had Dell XP discs that would only work on that specific model.
Some proprietary bs that they're famous for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:46 am 
Phantom Officer

is this the version you get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-NA-_-NA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 am 
Phantom Officer

The fine print says this:

Quote:
Guaranteed to work on any Brand of PC/Laptop, not just DELL

But also keep in mind this:

Quote:
OEM "Original Equipment Manufacturer" Software is distributed to companies like Dell, IBM & HP for installation on new machines. The main difference is that OEM can not be used as an upgrade, any previous or trial versions of the software must be uninstalled before installing an OEM. The packaging is typically CD & License, no box. OEM Software does not come with installation support from the manufacturer.

I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "Fuck it, cut em up!" -- Mitch Hedburg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 am 
Phantom Officer

Onaway wrote:

Yes, something like that. Here is the fine print that NewEgg has on OEM versions of Windows:

Quote:
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 am 
Phantom Officer

Sorry we aren't really helping Onaway. Bascially my feeling is, if you want a cheap copy of Windows, and you think you won't need support from Microsoft in the future, get the OEM copy. If you want to play it safe, get retail.

Microsoft changes the rules from Windows 7 to 8. I did some Googling but just got more confused. They seemed to be ok with you buying OEM to build a personal computer with XP, then didn't like it with 7, but are now saying it is okay with 8. I'm confused and you probably shouldn't listen to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 am 
Phantom Officer

Onaway,

In my experience it's really just a gamble. Sometimes they work for some systems, other times I've found that manufacturer discs do not work. Also keep in mind that using discs such as that from dell, hp, acer, ect. a lot of times don't require you to type in a product key. Dell discs for windows xp were like that. As for windows 7 I haven't used one of those before.